Thursday, April 14, 2011

Gluten Free Dinner Muffins

The dinner muffin is posted on the left. On the right is President's Choice Blue Menu Dark Chocolate Bran Muffin, made with a banana in place of the egg whites the package calls for (not gluten free). I don't normally like baking mixes, but I enjoy the blue menu stuff in a pinch.

I had plans to make gluten-free cornmeal muffins for a recent potluck, but after already starting the recipe I realized I had no cornmeal. I must have imagined or dreamed about buying some at the Bulk Barn recently...

But, I improvised a non-cornmeal muffin, and the result was tasty enough to share. These are inspired by the Whole Wheat Muffin recipe in Jean Paré's Company's Coming: Muffins and More p. 37 - an old standby of mine, and a very forgiving & easily retooled recipe.

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Mix together:
• 1/2 cup garfava bean flour
• 1/2 cup brown rice flour
• 1/2 cup quinoa flour
• 1/2 cup tapioca flour
• 1 Tbsp baking powder
• dash of salt
• 1 tbsp flax seed, ground in coffee grinder (not the one you use for coffee!)

Add to this dry mixture:
• 1 cup + 3 tbsp soy milk
• 1 tbsp liquid sweetner (I used agave)
• 1/4 cup canola oil.

Stir thoroughly. Fill greased muffin cups to the top. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve warm. Good with chili.


Makes 8-10 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment