Saturday, July 23, 2011

Vodka Apple Pie

 
I haven't liked many of the pie crust recipes I've tried. For years I made an oil-based crust because I couldn't get any non-hydrogenated shortening where I lived. It tasted good, but it wasn't as flaky as pastry made with solid fat, and it tended to fall apart when it was being rolled out. When I made this apple pie for Easter (yes, this post, like most, is terribly belated) I decided to try to find a flaky pie crust recipe. I ended up using this one because the science behind putting alcohol in the crust seemed sound to me.

And I have to say, I was the richest, flakiest crust I've had. The recipe made way too much dough for my pie pan, though, so I ended up using the rest to make turnovers filled with leftover apple chickpea curry (yum!) and some filled with strawberry rhubarb jam. So good.

Filling is mixed apples, cinnamon, ginger cloves, garum masala (my mum's secret ingredient in pie) a a tablespoons or two of flour and raw cane sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment