Saturday, February 4, 2012

Pasta with Parsley Walnut Pesto


I made this up the other day when I wanted a quick lunch and it was so good. The walnuts make it so creamy that it almost reminds me of an alfredo or something like that. I had previously tried the walnut pasta sauce recipe in Nonna's Italian Kitchen but was disappointed (especially since I like the other recipes I've tried from the book). This pesto is what I expected or dreamed that that walnut pasta would taste like. I am probably overly impressed with myself for thinking this up and for it being so easy (I keep gloating to my partner about it). We had this pasta again a few days later, as a side to store-bought "chick'n" fingers. We probably should have also had another veggie with this meal. But we didn't.

All of these measurements are approximate, since I just throw it together and taste as I go!


• 1/3 cup finely chopped parsley (whichever kind you have on hand)
• 1/4 cup raw walnuts, ground finely - until they are almost nut butter - in a clean coffee grinder (not one used for coffee)
• 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 Tbsp dried basil
• 1 tsp lemon juice
• 2 tsp garlic powder

You could use fresh garlic and basil in this as well if you have it on hand. I was too lazy to chop the garlic and don’t generally have any fresh basil.

Mix all ingredients together. Toss with freshly cooked pasta. It is a thick pesto, and will sort of melt as it mixes with warm pasta, coating it with rich goodness.

It's also yummy when topped with home made vegan "parmesan".

No comments:

Post a Comment