Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Vegan Parmesan Cheese Substitute

I have this thing about commercial vegan cheeses. They all taste like feet. I haven't met a one that has tasted ANYTHING like cheese. Every one I've tried is awful, and expensive to boot. So, I avoid them altogether. I'll sometimes put it on as a garnish, if there's lots of other flavours to mask its putrescence, but generally, I'd just as soon do without.

The problem is, I LOVE cheese. LOVE. Cheese, however, does not like me. I can't really digest animal products very well (and it's only gotten worse as I've aged) which is the main reason why I eat vegan as much as possible.

My favourite cheese of all is parmesan. Spaghetti just isn't the same without it. My dear friend Sara recommended I try making my own parmesan substitute, since I don't like any of the vegan ones I've tried.

Here's my version of the recipe:

1/2 cup raw, shelled almonds
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 tsp sea salt

Put all ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is finely ground and resembles parmesan.

It doesn't taste like parmesan, but it doesn't taste like feet either, and it's apt to fool you when it's sprinkled on your spaghetti.

2 comments:

  1. You might be interested in this fake parmesan recipe as well http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/2008/05/practical-way-to-use-okara.html. (I haven't tried it yet, but I'm intrigued by it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would definitely be a cheaper version! I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete