Sunday, July 8, 2012

Recipe Review: Argugula Pumpkin Seed Pesto Raw Lasagna

So I've been experimenting more with raw food. In the summer, I find I usually don't have much appetite, since I'm not particularly heat tolerant. On a summer day, raw food is re-hydrating, cool and much more palatable than a hot meal, even if you're not a raw foodie. Raw food is also surprisingly filling (I guess I thought it would be like having a salad for dinner... it sort of is, but like having a salad with tons of stuff in it, including proteiny things).

I tried my first ever raw lasagna this week using the recipe here:
http://www.rawfoodrecipes.com/recipes/arugula-pumpkin-seed-pesto-sauerkraut-lasagna.html

(My links often die, over time, so I'm going to transcribe it here. But it's not my recipe. It was created by Michelle and Lori (@pure2raw on twitter).
My rawsagna!


Below is the recipe, with my changes in red.

1 zucchini, large (thinly sliced) (I used 1/2 a zucchini)
1 large tomato (thinly sliced)
And pumpkin arugula pesto (recipe below)
as much sauerkraut as you want

Pumpkin Arugula Pesto:
about 1 cup fresh arugula (I am actually not fond of arugula. I used President's Choice Organic Spring Mix with Herbs, which was on quick sale 50% off.)
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (can use sunflower seeds or any nut)
2 garlic cloves (optional) (garlic, oh yes.)
1/4 tsp salt (or to taste) (thinking about next time using yellow miso instead)
2 tbsp tahini
3 tbsp sauerkraut juice (can use lemon or lime juice or apple cider vinegar) (I used lemon juice)
handful of fresh basil (I also added fresh oregano)
2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast
(I added some olive oil to help it blend, as it was pretty thick in my food processor)

Methods/steps

Pesto:
Place all pesto ingredients in your blender and blend till creamy. *may do it in a food processor as well.
Than you build your lasagna with your zucchini and tomato as layers.  To get your zucchini really thin it is best to use a mandoline.
1.Take a few pieces of zucchini and place on plate.
2.Next tomato slice.
3.And top it off with pesto and sauerkraut. Repeat layers!

No comments:

Post a Comment