Wednesday, August 1, 2012

(Sugar Free) Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice "Cream"

This is my own recipe that I winged after reading a couple recipes for chocolate peanut butter ice cream (both vegan and non-vegan).

2 cups chocolate soy or almond milk*
3/4 cup natural peanut butter
1 cup pitted whole dates
heaping 1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup whole red skin peanuts

Put everything in blender. Blend, moving from low to high speed, until everything is smooth and creamy. Chill for at least 1 hour. Put into prepared ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. In my ice cream maker, it took about 15 minutes to be done because the mixture was quite thick. When it was done, it came out a perfect soft serve consistency, ready to eat. This is richly flavoured, deliciously fudgey in texture, and would go great with brownies. (Maybe add brownie chunks next time!?)


*I use commercially made, or a mix of commercially made and home made. I have discovered home made milks do not do as well in ice creams. Ice creams made with home made milks seem to form ice crystals so the texture is more like a sorbet than ice cream (not as creamy!) I think that ice cream benefits from the emulsifiers/thickeners they put in commercial vegan milks. I am going to try to get my hands on some xanthan gum to use as a thickener/emulsifier in my vegan ice creams.

This is NOT sugar free unless you use unsweetened soy/almond milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment