Sunday, June 30, 2013

Breakfast of Champions

I've been weightlifting more and so, while I'm not usually someone who bothers keeping track of food values, I've been trying to make sure I get adequate nutrients, particularly on days when I will be working out.

Today I am going on a long bike ride with my dad, and playing my pipes, and gardening, and doing some yoga. So I wanted a hearty breakfast to start myself off.

For anyone who's still wondering where veg*ans get their protein, my breakfast today had approximately 22.5 grams of protein. (I had to estimate some things like the tofu whip but this is a good ballpark). For reference for the meat-eaters out there, a steak has between 20-30 grams of protein (depending on the steak).


Cornmeal Porridge: 5 grams (just whole grain yellow cornmeal cooked in water)
Hemp Hearts: 9 grams
Tofu Whip: 2 grams (silken tofu + cashews + maple syrup + soy milk)
Pecans: 2 grams
Strawberries: 0.5 grams
To drink, Chocolate almond milk: 4 grams

22.5 grams

The recommended daily protein allowance for women in my age group is 46 grams. If I do a grams per pound of body weight calculation, I get a guideline of 47 grams daily and up to 99 grams daily if I am being ridiculously athletic. I've seen weightlifting sites which recommend 1 gram per pound of body weight. I'd definitely have to start pounding back protein shakes in order to get that much protein in a day. Somehow, that's not something I see myself needing or doing. But I can definitely make sure to eat a hearty breakfast full of delicious protein and carbs to support my fitness level!

No comments:

Post a Comment