Saturday, August 7, 2010

Okara Seitan



I find most home-made gluten-only seitan to be a bit too chewy. Since I've also been looking for ways to use up my okara, I was thrilled to find this recipe for a "vegetarian chicken substitute" made with okara and gluten. I modified it a bit, and here is my version. It has become one of our favourite protein sources.


Mix:
• 2/3 cup gluten
• 2 heaping tsp vegetarian chicken-flavoured broth powder (available at most bulk & health food stores)
• 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
• about 1/2 tsp each onion powder and garlic powder
• about 1/4 tsp each rosemary, sage, thyme (optional)

Add in:
• 1 tbsp olive or canola oil
• About one cup okara (one soy milk makings' worth, if you use a SoyQuick.)

Knead mixture until it is uniform and sticks together.
Make into patties about three or four inches in diameter.

Bake in the oven on parchment paper at 450 F, 10-15 minutes each side, or until golden brown.

Let cool, and then cut into chunks or strips if you are using it in a stir-fry or casserole.

No comments:

Post a Comment