Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Susan's Killer Guac

My mum made *great* guacamole, and she'd always make home-fried corn chips to go with it. She may have grown up on a rather WASPy meat-and-potatoes diet, but she loved spicy food from the moment she tried it, and she could put damn fine Mexican and Indian meals on the table.

I love using this Guac as a condiment on almost anything, or as an appetizer/snack with chips or veggies. Um, or a spoon.

• 2-3 ripe avacados (2 if you're using a small tomato, three if you're using a medium to large one)
• 1/2 to a full small onion (I use half - I don't like it as oniony - my mum used a full)
• 2 tbsp lemon juice
• 1 tomato
• 4 garlic cloves
• 1 scant TBSP chili powder
• a dash of hot sauce, or, alternatively, I sometimes use about 1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

For chunky guac, mash the acacados in a bowl, and then chop everything else finely and mix it in with the avacados. (I like this best for chips).
For smooth guac (better as a condiment), chuck everything in a blender or food processor and let it get mangled up till it's smooth and creamy.

Thanks, mum.

No comments:

Post a Comment